Tuesday, June 28, 2011

NJ State Olympic tri- coming soon. July 24.

So, I'm excited to compete in my first olympic distance triathlon. The training for a longer distance triathlon obviously requires different demands on your system, which I'm currently experiencing. Official "oly" triathlon distances for each even (in miles) are as following:


SWIM: 0.93 mi (1.5k)


BIKE: 24.86 mi (40k)


RUN: 6.2 mi (10k)

Training distances are a bit longer for each of the events, recovery times are a bit different, and of course, the overall strategy is going to be different as well. This is not a race where one can just go all out for each event...well, at least not for me.

My goal time is under 2:20 minutes, which would place me in the top 20 for the race overall (based on 2010 rankings). The goal is lofty, since it's my first oly, but hey, I'll be happy if I can get my time under 2:35.

My goal splits: 24 min swim (1:36/100 m), 1:05 bike (23.3 mph), 46 min (7:30 mi).

I have two concerns before me:
1) After my Wyckoff run catastrophe (read previous blog), my infamous cramps on the run haunt me (yes, I am always well-hydrated and electrolyte-balanced). I'm hoping Wyckoff will always be my one fluke race, so that I can get all the cramps out of the way.

2) My next concern is the swim. Most likely, no wetsuit for the race based on the high water temperature...though, in a way, I'm looking forward to swimming without the suit, because I'll be able to see how I really fare as an open water swimmer.

I'll be incorporating a lot of CFE (CrossFit Endurance) principles and generally higher intensity, lower volume of training strategies . More on training for the race coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment