Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Swimming is an easy sport? Hardly!

I consider myself an avid swimmer , and I hear this comment on occasion. Of all the sports I've ever participated in, by far, swimming has been the most challenging as far as cardiovascular and coordination demands. Swimming well is HARD! Stroke efficiency, for the average terrestrial being, is not natural, I can attest. Yeah, if I were a more efficient swimmer, sure, it would be a little easier, but do take note that a man my size burns about 511 calories/hr. of lap swimming. That's more than a decent number of calories burned with far less pounding on the joints than say, running. However...

Swimming, contrary to popular opinion, is far from stressful on the joints. In fact, swimming-related injuries are deceivingly high- back, shoulder, groin, and knee issues plague competitive swimmers. When I hear swimming prescribed as an alternative to land-based exercise, I always pay close attention to the patient's diagnosis and their range of motion limitations.

For example, I might steer away from prescribing the freestyle or breastroke to a patient with lumbar spinal stenosis since extension typically worsens symptoms. In fact, these patients would be better off with the sidestroke or backstroke or even just treading water in the deep end. Patients with a torn medial meniscus would not benefit from using the breastroke kick and yet, others with shoulder impingement should certainly get their stroke analyzed and focus on non-overhead drills and land-based rehab while their symptoms subside.

On the aside...if you're a swimmer out there, just remember that you could take on a 250 lb. lineman in the deep end of the pool any day of the week!

For more information on swimming injuries and how to prevent them, contact Dr. Yoo at jerry@mavenpt.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment